Getting Started at CFMRI¶
Conducting Research at the CFMRI - 3T Scanners¶
1. Contact CFMRI¶
- Please contact CFMRI (email@example.com) if you have questions about getting started or to discuss the feasibility of your proposed study.
2. Create a Project¶
- Current PIs - PIs who currently have projects on the 3T scanners can login to CFMRI CALPENDO and Create a New Project.
- New PIs - if you do not have access to the CFMRI CALPENDO system, please refer to the online User Guide and request an ID.
3. Proposal Approval¶
- When the Proposal is received by CFMRI it will be considered by the Science and Finance teams and you will be notified if any additional information is required. When the proposal is approved you will be notified that it is ready for bookings in Calpendo. You will also receive Login information for server data transfer (Instructions available link).
4. Safety Training¶
- All potential scanner operators must completeCFMRI Safety Training before proceeding to Operator Training.
- Fill out the online registration form before the Safety lecture (https://cfmriweb.ucsd.edu/cfmri-training).
- Attend the CFMRI Safety lecture. Note: Bring a printed copy of the safety manual (PDF) and supplementary guidelines to the lecture (PDF).
- Pass the online safety test (https://cfmriweb.ucsd.edu/etraining).
- You can verify your status at (https://cfmriweb.ucsd.edu/cfmri-training/check.php) the following day after you have completed the online safety test.
- Everyone is encouraged to attend the safety lecture even if official training is not required.
5. Operator Training¶
- Complete Step 4 above.
- The project PI must send a request for the operator to be trained (https://cfmriweb.ucsd.edu/operator-training).
- Complete operator hands-on training at the CFMRI
- When signed off as a Certified Operator by CFMRI, submit this form to request approval to be added to the relevant project on the CFMRI Calpendo. https://cfmriweb.ucsd.edu/cfmriaccess
6. CFMRI Building Access and Scanner Access¶
- The CFMRI Building main entrance is normally open 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Mon-Fri).
- Complete this form https://cfmriweb.ucsd.edu/cfmriaccess to request access to the:
- CFMRI Building After hours
- 3T Scanner
- 7T Scanner
- Mock Scanner
- Only CFMRI Safety Trained personnel are eligible to request access. Level of access granted is based on current training status.
- Request must be approved by both the PI and CFMRI before access is granted.
When access is approved, the researcher will receive email instructions on how to apply for and activate a proximity card for accessing the CFMRI building and Scanners. For non-UCSD researchers a $35 refundable deposit is required for the card. Only those who have been officially safety-trained may enter the magnet rooms.